What is 78L05?
It is a voltage regulator integrated circuit (IC) that provides a regulated output voltage of 5 volts. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a stable voltage supply to other components, such as microcontrollers, sensors, and LEDs. The “78” in its name indicates that it belongs to the 78xx series of linear voltage regulators, while “L05” indicates the specific model number for the 5-volt version.
Part Number: 78L05
Function: 3-TERMINAL 0.1A, POSITIVE 5V, VOLTAGE REGULATOR
Package: SOP-8, TO-92, SOT-89, SOT-223 Type
Manufacturer: Unisonic Technologies
Image and Pinouts:
This is 5V, 0.1A, Voltage Regulator.
The UTC 78L05 family is monolithic fixed voltage regulator integrated circuit. They are suitable for applications that required supply current up to 100mA.
Advantages Vs Disadvantages
1. Easy to use: requires minimal external components for operation
2. Low cost: widely available and affordable
3. Stable and accurate: provides a regulated output voltage with low output ripple and noise
4. Short-circuit and thermal protection: protects the device and other components from damage in case of a fault
1. Limited output current: can only supply up to 100mA, which may not be sufficient for some applications
2. Low efficiency: the device dissipates a significant amount of power as heat, which can be wasteful and requires heat sinking in high-current applications
3. Voltage drop: the device has a voltage drop of typically 2V at 100mA, which can affect the efficiency and performance of some circuits
1. Output Current up to 100mA
2. Fixed Output Voltage of 5V Available
3. Thermal Overload Shutdown Protection
4. Short Circuit Current Limiting
Other data sheets are available within the file:
78L06, 78L08, 78L09, 78L10, 78L12, 78L15
Q: Can I use this device to regulate other voltages besides 5V?
A: No, It is specifically designed to provide a regulated output voltage of 5V. If you need a different output voltage, you should use a different voltage regulator IC.
Q: Do I need external capacitors for this device?
A: Yes, the device requires input and output capacitors for stability and to reduce output ripple and noise. The recommended values for these capacitors are specified in the datasheet.
Q: Can I use this device in a high-current application?
A: No, the It is only capable of supplying up to 100mA of output current. If you need to regulate a higher current, you should use a different voltage regulator IC or a parallel combination of multiple 78L05 devices.