Part Number: LM317
Function: 1.2V TO 37V VOLTAGE REGULATOR
Package: TO-220, TO-220FP, D2Pak, SOT-223 Type
The LM317 is monolithic integrated circuits in TO-220, TO-220FP, D²PAK and SOT223 packages intended for use as positive adjustable voltage regulators. They are designed to supply more than 1.5 A of load current with an output voltage adjustable over a 1.2 to 37 V range.
The nominal output voltage is selected by means of a resistive divider, making the device exceptionally easy to use and eliminating the stocking of many fixed regulators.
1. Output voltage range : 1.2 to 37 V
2. Output current in excess of 1.5 A
3. 0.1% line and load regulation
4. Floating operation for high voltages
5. Complete series of protections: current limiting, thermal shutdown and SOA
LM317 vs LM338?
1. Rated voltage and rated current:
The LM317 is a 3 -terminal variable voltage regulator having a maximum output voltage of 37V and a maximum current rating of 1.5A, and the LM338 is a voltage regulator with a maximum output voltage of 32V and a maximum rated current 5A.
2. Power Dissipation:
The LM338 has a higher power dissipation capability than the LM317, allowing you to handle more power without overheating. Therefore, the LM338 is suitable for high current applications that consumy power.
3. Heat Dissipation: Due to its higher power dissipation capability, , the LM338 can generate more heat than the LM317. This means that the heat dissipation must be carefully managed to prevent damage to the regulator or connected circuit.
4. Pin Out: The pin -out of LM317 and LM338 is not the same. That is, the two regulators cannot be used interchangeably without modifying the circuit layout.
Therefore, the LM317 is suitable for low current applications with sufficient output voltage of 37V, and the LM338 is more suitable for high current applications that require maximum rated current 5A.