What is LM386?
The LM386 is a power amplifier designed for use in low voltage consumer applications. The gain is internally set to 20 to keep external part count low, but the addition of an external resistor and capacitor between pins 1 and 8 will increase the gain to any value from 20 to 200.
Part Number: LM386
Function: Low Voltage Audio Power Amplifier
Package: SOP, DIP 8 Pin
Manufacturer: Wing Shing International Group
Image and Pinouts:
The inputs are ground referenced while the output automatically biases to one-half the supply voltage. The quiescent power drain is only 24 milliwatts when operating from a 6 volt supply, making the WS386M-1 ideal for battery operation.
LM386 is an integrated circuit designed to amplify low-level audio signals. It is widely used in various applications such as portable speakers, guitar amplifiers, and other low-power audio systems.
One of the most common configurations is the single-ended configuration, where the input signal is applied to one input pin while the other input pin is grounded. Another popular configuration is the bridge-tied load (BTL) configuration, where two LM386 amplifiers are used together to provide a higher output power.
1. Battery operation
2. Minimum external parts
3. Wide supply voltage range: 4V–12V
4. Low quiescent current drain: 4mA
5. Voltage gains from 20 to 200
6. Ground referenced input
1. AM-FM radio amplifiers
2. Portable tape player amplifiers
4. TV sound systems
5. Line drivers
6. Ultrasonic drivers
Advantages Vs Disadvantages
1. Easy to use and requires minimal external components.
2. Wide operating voltage range and can operate on battery power.
3. Low power consumption, making it suitable for battery-operated devices.
4. Widely available and has a long history of successful use in various applications.
1. The LM386 has limited output power and may not be suitable for high-power applications.
2. Limited frequency response range and may not be suitable for high-fidelity audio applications.
3. It may be susceptible to electromagnetic interference (EMI) due to its high gain and low input impedance.
4. It may produce audible noise and hiss when used with high impedance loads or in noisy environments.
Parts to consider together
1. TDA2822M: This is a dual low-voltage power amplifier IC that can provide up to 1.2W output power. It has a wide supply voltage range of 1.8V to 15V and can be used in various applications, including portable devices and audio systems.
2. TDA2030A: This is a monolithic IC that can provide up to 14W output power. It has a wide supply voltage range of 6V to 36V and can be used in various applications, including Hi-Fi audio systems, guitar amplifiers, and active speakers.
3. LM1875: This is a high-performance audio amplifier IC that can provide up to 30W output power. It has a supply voltage range of 16V to 60V and can be used in various applications, including Hi-Fi audio systems and guitar amplifiers.
4. LM380: This is a power audio amplifier IC that can provide up to 2.5W output power. It has a supply voltage range of 10V to 22V and can be used in various applications, including portable devices and audio systems.
Other data sheets are available within the file: LM386M-1, LM386N-1
Overall, the LM386 is a versatile and cost-effective solution for amplifying low-level audio signals.