What is MAX232?
This is a popular and versatile IC that simplifies serial communication by providing voltage level conversions between RS-232 and TTL signals. Its wide voltage range, low power consumption, and ease of use make it suitable for use in a wide range of electronic systems, although its limited data rate and distance may require additional components or alternative communication protocols for some applications.
Part Number: MAX232
Function: +5V-Powered/ Multichannel RS-232 Driver / Receiver
Package: DIP, SOP 16 Pin Type
Manufacturer: Maxim ( Maxim Integrated Products )
Image and Pinout:
The MAX232 is +5V-Powered, integrated circuits (ICs) that are used to convert signals between RS-232 and TTL levels.
The MAX220 Thru MAX249 family of line drivers/receivers is intended for all EIA/TIA-232E and V.28/V.24 communications interfaces, particularly applications where ±12V is not available.
These parts are especially useful in battery-powered systems, since their low-power shutdown mode reduces power dissipation to less than 5µW. The MAX225, MAX233, MAX235, and MAX245/MAX246/MAX247 use no external components and are recommended for applications where printed circuit board space is critical.
Advantages Vs Disadvantages
1. Simplifies serial communication: Simplifies serial communication by providing the necessary voltage level conversions between RS-232 and TTL signals, eliminating the need for additional components.
2. Wide voltage range: Wide range of supply voltage levels, making it compatible with a variety of electronic systems.
3. Low power consumption: Very low power, making it suitable for use in portable or battery-powered devices.
4. Easy to use: Easy to use and requires minimal external components.
1. Limited data rate: Maximum data rate of 120 kbps, which may limit its use in applications that require higher data rates.
2. Limited distance: Limited transmission distance due to the nature of RS-232 signals, which may require additional components or alternative communication protocols for longer distance communication.
• Integrated Charge Pump Circuitry
• Eliminates the Need for a Bipolar ±12V Supply
• Enables Single Supply Operation from +5V Supply
• Integrated Capacitors
• 5μW Shutdown Mode
• Interface Translation
• Multidrop RS-232 Networks
• Portable Diagnostics Equipment
Reference Site: [ Wikipedia MAX232 Info ]
MAX232 vs MAX202?
MAX232 is suitable for low-speed communication applications that require a single +5V supply voltage, while MAX202 is suitable for moderate-speed communication applications that require a wider supply voltage range and lower power consumption.
1. Maximum data rate: MAX232 can support a maximum data rate of 120 kbps, while MAX202 can support data rates up to 250 kbps.
2. Number of drivers/receivers: MAX232 has two drivers and two receivers, while MAX202 has two drivers and two receivers.
3. Power consumption: MAX202 has a lower power consumption than MAX232.