What is MOC3021?
This is is an optocoupler that consists of an LED and a photo-triac device.
The optocoupler is commonly used in applications such as motor control, lighting control, and power switching. It has a high isolation voltage and low coupling capacitance, which makes it suitable for use in high voltage and noise-sensitive environments.
Part Number: MOC3021
Function: Optocoupler / Optoisolator
Package: DIP 6 Pin
Manufacturer: LiteOn Technology
Image and Pinouts:
This is Photocoupler. It is designed for use in isolation applications to control AC loads using DC signals. The LED is driven by a low voltage DC signal, and when it turns on, it activates the photo-triac, which in turn switches on an AC load.
1. Provides isolation between input and output circuits, which enhances safety and reduces noise interference
2. Can control AC loads using low voltage DC signals, which simplifies circuit design
3. Low coupling capacitance reduces the risk of false triggering
4. Easy to use and widely available
1. Limited current handling capability compared to other power switching devices such as triacs and MOSFETs
2. Limited switching speed, which may not be suitable for high-frequency applications
3. Requires an external snubber circuit to reduce voltage spikes and EMI (Electromagnetic Interference) generated during switching
1. Isolation voltage between input and output Viso : 5,000Vrms
2. 6pin DIP photocoupler, triac driver output
3. High repetitive peak off-state voltage Vdrm : Min. 400V
4. High critical rate of off-state voltage(dV/dt : MIN. 100V / us)
1. Motor Controls.
2. Solid state relays
3. For triggering high power thyristor and triac
4. Household use equipment
1. Can MOC3021 be used to switch DC loads?
No, This IC is designed to control AC loads using DC signals. It cannot be used to switch DC loads directly.
2. How does MOC3021 provide isolation between input and output circuits?
MOC3021 uses an optocoupler design, which consists of an LED and a photo-triac device. The LED is driven by a low voltage DC signal, and when it turns on, it activates the photo-triac, which in turn switches on an AC load. The input and output circuits are physically separated by the optocoupler, which provides electrical isolation between them.
MOC3021 Datasheet PDF Download
Other data sheets are available within the file: M0C3020, M0C3020M, M0C3020S, M0C3021, M0C3021M