What is MPSA42?
The MPSA42 is a high voltage NPN bipolar junction transistor (BJT) that is commonly used in electronic circuits for applications that require high voltage and current amplification. It has a maximum collector-emitter voltage rating of 300V, a maximum collector current rating of 500mA, and a maximum power dissipation of 625mW.
Part Number: MPSA42
Function: NPN High Voltage Amplifier
Package: TO-92 Type
Manufacturer: Fairchild Semiconductor
Fairchild Semiconductor was acquired by ON Semiconductor Corporation in 2016. ON Semiconductor is a leading supplier of semiconductor-based solutions, with a focus on power and analog applications.
Image and Pinouts:
This is 300V, 500mA, NPN Transistor. The MPSA42 transistor is used in a wide variety of electronic circuits, including power amplifiers, high voltage switching circuits, and voltage regulators. It is also commonly used in audio amplifiers, switching regulators, and LED drivers. The transistor has a high current gain, which makes it suitable for use in applications where small signals need to be amplified to higher levels. It is also known for its fast switching speed and low noise characteristics, which make it an ideal choice for high frequency circuits.
This device is designed for application as a video output to drive color CRT and other high voltage applications.
Applications of MPSA42:
1. Power amplifiers: The transistor can be used in power amplifiers that require high voltage and current handling capabilities.
2. High voltage switching circuits: The transistor can be used in circuits that switch high voltages, such as power supplies.
3. Voltage regulators: The transistor can be used in voltage regulators that require high current handling capabilities.
4. LED drivers: The transistor can be used in LED drivers that require high voltage and current capabilities.
Strength and weakness of MPSA42
(1) High voltage rating: A high voltage rating of 300V, which makes it suitable for use in applications that require high voltage handling capabilities.
(2) High current rating: The transistor has a high current rating of 500mA, which makes it suitable for use in applications that require high current handling capabilities.
(3) Fast switching speed: A fast switching speed, which makes it ideal for use in high frequency circuits.
(4) Low noise: The transistor has low noise characteristics, which makes it ideal for use in low noise applications, such as audio amplifiers.
(1) Limited gain bandwidth product: A limited gain bandwidth product, which makes it unsuitable for use in applications that require high gain bandwidth.
(2) Limited temperature range: The transistor has a limited temperature range of -55°C to 150°C, which may limit its use in high temperature applications.
(3) Limited frequency response: Limited frequency response, which may limit its use in high frequency applications.
Absolute Maximum Ratings:
1. VCEO : Collector-Emitter Voltage = 300 V
2. VCBO : Collector-Base Voltage = 300 V
3. VEBO : Emitter-Base Voltage = 6 V
4. IC : Collector Current – Continuous = 500 mA
5. TJ, TSTG : Operating and Storage Junction Temperature Range = -55 to +150 °C
Other data sheets are available within the file: MMBTA42, PZTA42, 1D, A42