What is L298N?
This is a dual full-bridge driver integrated circuit (IC) designed to control inductive loads such as DC motors and stepper motors. It can drive up to 2 amps per channel, with a voltage range of 5V to 46V, making it suitable for a wide range of motor control applications.
Function: Dual H-Bridge Motor Controller
Package: Multiwatt15 Type
The L298 is an integrated monolithic circuit in a 15-lead Multiwatt and PowerSO20 packages. It is a high voltage, high current dual full-bridge driver designed to accept standard TTL logic levels and drive inductive loads such as relays, solenoids, DC and stepping motors. Two enable inputs are provided to enable or disable the device independently of the input signals.
The emitters of the lower transistors of each bridge are connected together and the corresponding external terminal can be used for the connection of an external sensing resistor. An additional supply input is provided so that the logic works at a lower voltage.
It is a high voltage, high current, dual full-bridge motor driver designed to accept standard TTL logic levels and drive inductive loads such as relays, solenoids, DC and stepping motors.
1. OPERATING SUPPLY VOLTAGE UP TO 46 V
2. TOTAL DC CURRENT UP TO 4 A
3. LOW SATURATION VOLTAGE
4. OVERTEMPERATURE PROTECTION
5. LOGICAL “0” INPUT VOLTAGE UP TO 1.5 V (HIGH NOISE IMMUNITY)
1. Can control both DC and stepper motors
2. Can handle high current loads
3. Wide voltage range makes it suitable for a variety of applications
4. Built-in diodes protect against back EMF
5. Can be controlled with a microcontroller or other logic circuits
1. Requires additional components such as power supply and motor
2. May require heat sinks to dissipate heat during operation
3. Limited to two motor channels
4. Requires careful wiring and circuit design to prevent damage to th
1. Full-Bridge Motor Driver Dual : https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9479
2. Arduino Modules L298N Dual H-Bridge Motor Controller : http://www.instructables.com/
3. Dual Full Bridge Driver : http://www.st.com/
Q1: Can this IC be used to control a stepper motor?
A1: Yes, It is suitable for controlling both DC and stepper motors.
Q2: Does the L298N have built-in protection against back EMF?
A2: Yes, It has built-in diodes that protect against back EM
Other data sheets are available within the file: L298HN, L298P