Manufacturer: National Semiconductor ->Texas Instruments
National Semiconductor was an American semiconductor manufacturer that specialized in analog devices and subsystems. But, this company was acquired by Texas Instruments in 2011.
Image and Pinouts:
What is LM1084?
The LM1084 is a series of low dropout voltage positive regulators with a maximum dropout of 1.5V at 5A of load current. It has the same pin-out as National Semiconductor’s industry standard LM317. The LM1084 is available in an adjustable version, which can set the output voltage with only two external resistors. It is also available in three fixed voltages: 3.3V, 5.0V and 12.0V. The fixed versions intergrate the adjust resistors. The LM1084 circuit includes a zener trimmed bandgap reference, current limiting and thermal shutdown.
The low dropout voltage positive regulator is designed to operate with a very small difference between the input and output voltages, typically less than 0.5 volts. This allows it to provide a stable output voltage even when the input voltage is close to the output voltage.
1. Available in 3.3V, 5.0V, 12V and Adjustable Versions
2. Current Limiting and Thermal Protection
3. Output Current 5A
4. Industrial Temperature Range −40°C to 125°C
5. Line Regulation 0.015% (typical)
6. Load Regulation 0.1% (typical)
1. Post Regulator for Switching DC/DC Conveter
2. High Efficiency Linear Regulators
3. Battery Charger
Other data sheets are available within the file: LM1084IS-12, LM1084IS-3.3, LM1084IS-5.0, LM1084IS-ADJ
The LM317M is exceptionally easy to use and requires only two external resistors to set the output. Furthermore, both line and load regulation are better than standard fixed regulators. In addition to having higher performance than fixed regulators, the LM317M includes on-chip current limiting, thermal-overload protection, and safe-operating-area protection. All overload protection remains fully functional if the ADJUST terminal is disconnected.
Advantages Vs Disadvantages
1. Flexibility in output voltage regulation, due to the adjustable output feature
2. Low dropout voltage, which allows for efficient voltage regulation even with low input-output voltage differentials
3. Thermal overload and short circuit protection features, which protect the device and the circuit from damage in the event of a fault condition
4. Output current limiting, which helps prevent damage to the device and the circuit due to overloading
1. Limited maximum output current, which restricts its use in high-power applications
2. Output voltage drift, which can be a concern in precision applications
3. Voltage regulation accuracy can be affected by changes in input voltage and temperature
1. Output Voltage Range Adjustable from 1.25-V to 37-V
2. Output Current Greater Than 500-mA
3. Internal Short-Circuit Current Limiting
4. Thermal-Overload Protection
5. Output Safe-Area Compensation
6. Q Devices Meet Automotive Performance Requirements