The MAX3222 / MAX3232 / MAX3237 / MAX3241 transceivers have a proprietary low-dropout transmitter output stage enabling true RS-232 performance from a 3.0V to 5.5V supply with a dual charge pump. The devices require only four small 0.1μF external charge-pump capacitors. The MAX3222, MAX3232, and MAX3241 are guaranteed to run at data rates of 120kbps while maintaining RS-232 output levels. The MAX3237 is guaranteed to run at data rates of 250kbps in normal operating mode and 1Mbps in the MegaBaud™ operating mode.
The MAX3222 consists of two line drivers, two line receivers, and a dual charge-pump circuit with ±15-kV ESD protection pin to pin (serial-port connection pins, including GND). The device meets the requirements of TIA/EIA-232-F and provides the electrical interface between an asynchronous communication controller and the serial-port connector. The charge pump and four small external capacitors allow operation from a single 3-V to 5.5-V supply. The device operates at data signaling rates up to 250 kbit/s and a maximum of 30-V/µs driver output slew rate.
1. RS-232 Bus-Pin ESD Protection Exceeds ±15 kV Using Human-Body Model (HBM)
2. Meets or Exceeds the Requirements of TIA/EIA-232-F and ITU v.28 Standards
3. Operates With 3-V to 5.5-V VCCSupply
4. Operates Up To 250 kbit/s
5. Two Drivers and Two Receivers
6. Low Standby Current…1 µA Typical
7. External Capacitors…4 ×0.1 µF
8. Accepts 5-V Logic Input With 3.3-V Supply
9. Alternative High-Speed Pin-Compatible Device (1 Mbit/s) − SNx5C3222