Part Number: IT8511E
Function: Embedded Controller
Package: LQFP 176, TQFP 176, TFBGA 180 Type
The IT8511E is a highly integrated embedded controller with system functions suitable for mobile system applications. The IT8511 directly interfaces to the LPC bus and provides ACPI embedded controller function, keyboard controller (KBC) and matrix scan, external flash interface for system BIOS and EC code, PWM, ADC and SmartAuto Fan control for hardware monitor, PS/2 interface for external keyboard/mouse devices, RTC, BRAM, CIR and system wake up functions for system power management. It also supports the external flash ( or EPROM) to be shared by the host and EC side.
An embedded controller, also known as an embedded microcontroller or microcontroller unit (MCU), is a compact and self-contained computing system designed to perform specific tasks or functions within a larger electronic system. It’s a type of microcomputer that integrates a processor (CPU), memory, input/output peripherals, and often other components like timers, analog-to-digital converters, and communication interfaces onto a single chip.
8032 Embedded Controller
1. Twin Turbo version/3-stage pipeline
2. 10MHz for EC domain and 8032 internal timer
3. 10MHz for 8032 code-fetch
4. Instruction set compatible with standard 8051/2
LPC Bus Interface
1. Compatible with the LPC specification v1.1
2. Supports I/O read/write
3. Supports TMKBC trusted port cycle
4. Supports Memory read/write
5. Supports FWH read/write
6. Serial IRQ
1. Supports external parallel flash with 10 MHz base clock
2. Up to 4M bytes Flash space shared by the host and EC side (Parallel flash)
3. 8-bit data bus
Programming an embedded controller involves writing code in a programming language like C or C++, and then compiling and transferring that code onto the controller’s memory using tools like Integrated Development Environments (IDEs) and programming tools.