This is 78L05 is a voltage regulator integrated circuit (IC) that provides a regulated output voltage of 5 volts. It is commonly used in electronic circuits to provide a stable voltage supply to other components, such as microcontrollers, sensors, and LEDs.
Part Number: 78L05
Function: 5V, 3-Terminal Positive Regulator
Package: TO-92 Type
Manufacturer: National Semiconductor (Texas Instruments)
Image and Pinouts:
The 78L05 series of three terminal positive regulators is available with several fixed output voltages making them useful in a wide range of applications. When used as a zener diode/resistor combination replacement, the LM78LXX usually results in an effective output impedance improvement of two orders of magnitude, and lower quiescent current. These regulators can provide local on card regulation, eliminating the distribution problems associated with single point regulation. The voltages available allow the LM78LXX to be used in logic systems, instrumentation, HiFi, and other solid state electronic equipment.
1. 78L05 in micro SMD package
2. Output voltage tolerances of ±5% over the temperature range
3. Output current of 100mA
4. Internal thermal overload protection
5. Output transistor safe area protection
6. Internal short circuit current limit
7. Easy to use: requires minimal external components for operation
8. Low cost: widely available and affordable
9. Stable and accurate: provides a regulated output voltage with low output ripple and noise
10. Short-circuit and thermal protection: protects the device and other components from damage in case of a fault
11. Limited output current: can only supply up to 100mA, which may not be sufficient for some applications
12. Low efficiency: the device dissipates a significant amount of power as heat, which can be wasteful and requires heat sinking in high-current applications
13. Voltage drop: the device has a voltage drop of typically 2V at 100mA, which can affect the efficiency and performance of some circuits
Acquired by Texas Instruments on September 23rd, 2011.
78L05 Datasheet PDF Download
Other data sheets are available within the file: 78L05ACM, 78L05ACMX, 78L09, 78L09ACZ