3Part Number: L5980
Function: 0.7A Step-down Switching Regulator
Package: VFQFPN8 3×3 Type
Image and Pinouts:
A step-down switching regulator is an electronic circuit that converts a higher input voltage to a lower output voltage with high efficiency.
The L5980 is a step-down switching regulator with a 1 A (min.) current limited embedded Power MOSFET, so it is able to deliver in excess of 0.7 A DC current to the load depending on the application condition. The input voltage can range from 2.9 V to 18 V, while the output voltage can be set starting from 0.6 V to VIN. Having a minimum input voltage of 2.9 V, the device is suitable also for a 3.3 V bus. Requiring a minimum set of external components, the device includes an internal 250 kHz switching frequency oscillator thatcan be externally adjusted up to 1 MHz.
The key advantage of a step-down switching regulator is its high efficiency. Unlike linear regulators, which simply dissipate the excess voltage as heat, switching regulators actively convert the excess voltage to useful output power. This makes them much more efficient and allows them to be used in applications where power efficiency is critical, such as in battery-powered devices.
1. 0.7 A DC output current
2. 2.9 V to 18 V input voltage
3. Output voltage adjustable from 0.6 V
4. 250 kHz switching frequency, programmable up to 1 MHz
5. Internal soft-start and inhibit
6. Low dropout operation: 100% duty cycle
7. Voltage feedforward
8. Zero load current operation
9. Overcurrent and thermal protection
1. Consumer: STB, DVD, DVD recorder, car audio, LCD TV and monitors
2. Industrial: chargers, PLD, PLA, FPGA
3. Networking: XDSL, modems, DC-DC modules
4. Computer: optical storage, hard disk drive, printers, audio/graphic cards
5. LED driving
Other data sheets are available within the file: L-5980