What is LA78040?
This is a vertical deflection output IC (integrated circuit) that is commonly used in television and monitor circuits. It is designed to provide the vertical deflection waveform to the yoke of the CRT (cathode ray tube) and drive the scanning coil in the vertical direction.
Function: TV and CRT Display Vertical Output IC with Bus Control Support
Package: TO-220-7H Type
Manufacturer: SANYO (Panasonic)
Image and Pinouts:
The LA78040 is a vertical deflection output IC for high image quality TV and CRT displays that supports the use of a bus control system signal-processing IC. The sawtooth waveform from the bus control system signal-processing IC can directly drive the deflection yoke (including the DC component). Color TV vertical deflection system adjustment functions can be controlled over a bus system by connecting the LA78040 to a Sanyo LA768X series or LA769XX series bus control system signal-processing IC. Since the LA78040 provides a maximum deflection current of 1.8Ap-p, it is optimal for small and medium size CRTs.
1. Built-in pump-up circuit for low power dissipation.
2. Vertical output circuit.
3. Thermal protection circuit
Advantages Vs Disadvantages
1. Built-in pump-up circuit eliminates the need for an external coupling capacitor, reducing component count and cost
2. Thermal protection circuit helps prevent damage from overheating, improving circuit reliability
3. High slew rate allows for fast response time, improving the quality of the displayed image
4. Low power consumption reduces energy consumption and heat dissipation
5. Vertical output circuit with flyback output simplifies circuit design and reduces component count
6. S-shaped correction circuit helps improve the linearity of the displayed image
1. The LA78040 is a specialized IC designed specifically for vertical deflection in television and monitor circuits, and may not be suitable for other applications.
2. The IC requires external components, such as a yoke and scanning coil, to function properly.
3. The high slew rate may cause unwanted oscillations or instability in some circuit designs.