What is IRF520?
This is a power MOSFET used in electronic circuits for switching and amplification applications. It is an N-channel MOSFET with a voltage rating of 100V and a current rating of 9.2A. The IRF520 has a low on-resistance of 0.27 Ohm, which allows it to handle high power and reduce power loss. It is housed in a TO-220 package, which provides good thermal dissipation and makes it easy to mount on a heatsink.
Function: HEXFET Power MOSFET ( VDSS = 100V, ID = 9.2A )
Package: TO-220AB Type
Manufacturer: International Rectifier, a semiconductor company that specialized in power management technology, was acquired by Infineon Technologies AG in 2015.
Image and Pinouts:
This is HEXFET Power MOSFET. VDSS = 100V, RDS(on) = 0.27 Ohm, ID = 9.2A.
Fifth Generation HEXFETs from International Rectifier utilize advanced processing techniques to achieve extremely low on-resistance per silicon area.
This benefit, combined with the fast switching speed and ruggedized device design that HEXFET Power MOSFETs are well known for, provides the designer with an extremely efficient and reliable device for use in a wide variety of applications.
1. Advanced Process Technology
2. Dynamic dv/dt Rating
3. 175°C Operating Temperature
4. Fast Switching
5. Fully Avalanche Rated
Advantages Vs Disadvantages
1. It has a low on-resistance, which means it can handle high power and reduce power loss.
2. It has a higher current rating compared to the IRF510, making it suitable for high-power applications.
1. It has a relatively high gate capacitance, which may limit its use in high-frequency switching applications.
2. It is an N-channel MOSFET, which means it requires a positive gate voltage to turn on, making it incompatible with some circuits that require a negative gate voltage.
Absolute Maximum Ratings (Ta = 25°C)
1. Drain to source voltage: VDSS = 100 V
2. Gate to source voltage: VGSS = ± 20 V
3. Drain current: ID = 9.2 A
4. Drain Power Dissipation: Pd = 60 W
5. Channel temperature: Tch = 175 °C
6. Storage temperature: Tstg = -55 to +175 °C
Q1: Can this MOSFET be used for high-frequency switching applications?
A1: It has a relatively high gate capacitance, which may limit its use in high-frequency switching applications. It may not be the best choice for such applications.
Q1: Can this MOSFET be used for power supply applications?
A1: Yes, the IRF520 is suitable for use in power supply circuits. Its low on-resistance and high current rating make it well-suited for such applications.