Part Number: PN2222, PN2222A
Function: 30V, 600mA, NPN Switching Transistor
Package: TO-92 type
Manufacturer: ON Semiconductor
What is PN2222?
This is 40V, 600mA, NPN switching transistor in a TO-92, SOT54 plastic package.
The PN2222 is a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) that is commonly used in electronic circuits for amplification, switching, and other functions. It is a low-power NPN transistor that has a maximum collector current rating of 600mA, a maximum collector-emitter voltage rating of 30V, and a maximum power dissipation of 625mW.
The transistor is housed in a TO-92 package and has three pins: the emitter, the base, and the collector. The emitter is connected to the negative or ground side of the circuit, while the collector is connected to the positive or supply side. The base is the control pin that allows current to flow between the emitter and collector.
The PN2222 transistor can be used in a variety of electronic circuits, such as amplifiers, oscillators, and switching circuits. In amplifier circuits, it can be used to amplify weak signals, while in switching circuits, it can be used to turn on and off loads such as motors, lights, and relays.
Pros of PN2222 transistor:
1. Low cost: Relatively inexpensive, making it a cost-effective choice for many applications.
2. Versatile: The transistor can be used in a wide range of electronic circuits, including amplifiers, oscillators, and switching circuits.
3. Reliable performance: The transistor has a long history of reliable performance in electronic circuits.
Cons of PN2222 transistor:
1. Limited voltage and current handling capacity: The PN2222 transistor has a maximum collector-emitter voltage rating of 30V and a maximum collector current rating of 600mA, which may limit its use in some high-power circuits.
2. Low frequency response: The transistor may not be suitable for high-frequency applications due to its limited frequency response.
1. High current (max. 600 mA)
2. Low voltage (max. 40 V).
3. PNP complement : PN2907A.
Absolute maximum ratings ( Ta=25°C )
1. Collector to Base Voltage: Vcbo = 60 V
2. Collector to Emitter Voltage: Vceo = 30 V
3. Emitter to Base Voltage: Vebo = 5 V
4. Collector Current: Ic = 600 mA
5. Total Dissipation : Ptot = 625 mW
6. Junction Temperature: Tj = 150°C
7. Storage Temperature: Tsg = – 55 ~ +150°C
1. Amplification: The transistor can be used in amplifier circuits to amplify weak signals.
2. Switching: The transistor can be used in switching circuits to turn on and off loads such as motors, lights, and relays.
3. Oscillators: The transistor can be used in oscillator circuits to generate signals of a specific frequency.
4. Voltage Regulation: The transistor can be used to regulate voltage by acting as a variable resistor.
5. Current limiting: It can be used to limit the amount of current flowing in a circuit.
6. General purpose switching and linear amplification.
Other data sheets are available within the file: PN2222A
Similar parts to PN2222 transistor:
1. BC547: NPN transistor that is similar to the terms of voltage and current ratings.
2. 2N3904: NPN transistor that is similar to the in terms of voltage and current ratings.
3. 2N2222: The 2N2222 is a higher voltage and current rated version of the PN2222 transistor.
4. MPSA42: The MPSA42 is an NPN transistor that is similar to terms of voltage and current ratings. It is commonly used in audio amplifiers, switching circuits, and voltage regulators.